Blog Archive

Thursday, November 17, 2016

Guitar Gadget Review -- The Ernie Ball PowerPeg String Winder


I Hate to Admit it, but The Ernie Ball PowerPeg String Winder Really Works 

 

I don't like shortcuts, so I have a built-in aversion to gadgets like string winders. If you break a string, own it! Get that new one on the peg and start twisting -- and if your wrist gets tired, take a rest. When I see guitarists twirling those little plastic arm-thingy string winders, I get cranky (pun absolutely intended). But okay. The Ernie Ball string winder is pretty cool, and very effective. It's funky enough to be both effective and a little bit funny. If you play guitar, or if you are looking for a cool gift for a guitar player, consider this little machine. This gadget helps you when you replace strings on a guitar by cranking the tuning peg quickly and easily. There are a number of different kinds of string winders, but the Ernie Ball Powerpeg motorized string winder is affordable, durable, and can tighten up your strings faster than you can drop your pick into the sound hole of your guitar.


The Benefits of Having a String Winder On Stage


If you perform, breaking a string is no joke. If you don't have a back-up guitar, it's panic time. It's the worst feeling -- there you are with a broken string and a room full of people (I hope) waiting for the next song. Even if you have a back-up guitar, chances are you'd rather stick with your main instrument. Maybe you have a guitar tech who will do the job for you, but I'm guessing you're like 99% of us who do it all ourselves -- schlep gear, check cables, replace strings. Having a PegWinder means a little less stress when you need to get a string on fast.


If you are one of those rare guitarists who plans ahead and has extra money, then you probably have a back-up guitar or two. Fine, pick up the back-up, and then during break (or during the drum solo -- your band DOES have a drum solo in the set, right?), you can get a new string on guitar number one.  

The PowerPeg Does the Job...


I could have used one of these gadgets at many points in my long and (semi) illustrious career. For many years I couldn't afford a decent back-up guitar, so when a string broke during a show, I had no choice but to stop and put on a new one. Nothing kills your momentum like running off-stage to frantically find, put on, and tighten a new string. If I'd had one of these the process would have been a lot less painful. I might have even been inspired to show the audience my cool power string winder. In any case, the PowerPeg costs a lot less than a good back-up guitar.

 

Carpal-Tunnel String Syndrome: It's No Joke



Okay so Carpal-Tunnel String Syndrome is probably not a thing, but I can tell you that twisting a tuning peg for ten minutes is no picnic. It's especially grueling if you're working with an old or cheap acoustic, because the aging gears in the machine head can make a peg almost impossible to turn. Whip out your Ernie Ball Powerpeg and show that nasty little tuning peg who's boss! (It's you, by the way. You're the boss).


Check out these reviews on Amazon of the PowerPeg String Winder -- they pretty much say it all. It's unusual for people to weigh in on a guitar gadget like this and not have some pretty major complaints.


You Broke a String = You Need More Strings



Not coincidentally, Ernie Ball makes some of the best guitar strings in the business. They have been making strings since the 1960s, when Mr. Ball was operating a boutique guitar store in Hollywood. He noticed that more and more guitar players were "bending" strings as they played solos. At the time most guitar string sets had a wound G string, which was relatively thick and hard to bend. The solution? A set with a thinner, unwound G string, which he called "Slinkys." Rock gods from Hendrix to Clapton started using Slinkys, and the tradition continues -- Kirk Hammett of Metallica plays Slinkys, as do zillions of guitarists, famous and not-so-famous


So what do I know about buying gear, anyway?

I have been in touring rock bands for almost 25 years, and now at (ahem) 49 years of age, I can safely say that I know what to look for and what to avoid when buying music gear. In addition to my road gig experience, I have taught drums and guitar for many years. As part of my teaching work, I have helped dozens of students and their families decide which guitars, amplifiers, and drum sets to buy. I take into consideration some things others don't, like playability, durability, and the cost of accessories. I hope my advice here helps you decide what music gear is right for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment